Houseboat boating is a unique and funny way to explore the waterways in Veneto and in Friuli Venezia Giulia, but it is important to be aware of navigation rules to ensure the safety of the passengers and respect of the environment. Here is everything you need to know to fully enjoy your boating holiday!
What are the navigation rules for houseboats in Veneto and Friuli?
If you have planned a holiday in Veneto or Friuli on a houseboat, there are some things you need to keep in mind. Navigation in Veneto is subject to certain rules and good behaviors that it is important to respect to ensure the crew safety and preserve the environment. Here are some:
- Houseboat can only navigate on the authorized waterways of Veneto and Friuli and it is not allowed to go out to sea;
- In most channels and lagoons, the maximum allowed speed is 10km/h; be aware that this limit can be lower in proximity of homes, bridges, and other cases so be sure to reduce speed in these areas. You can easily see visual charts showing the speed limits alongside the channels;
- It is forbidden to moor your houseboat in a way that may obstacle the passage of other boats (like use the wood dolphins called ‘briccole’ to tie up) and it is important to know the allowed mooring points. For this scope, HHI is producing and distributing nautical maps and travel guides that you can explore at this link;
- You must respect all the indications provided by the competent authorities;
- It is not possible to travel at night. You are required to secure your boat at berth before 4:00 p.m. in April and October and 6:00 p.m. from May to September.
In addition, it is necessary to respect the rules and the good behavior provided by the Code of Recreational Navigation, such as the prohibition of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Safety tips for houseboat trips
Houseboat vacations are dynamic and fun, but it's important to follow some guidelines to avoid incidents or fines People under 18 years of age are not allowed to drive the boat;
- Jumping is risky, both on the boat and while boarding or disembarking on land; surfaces may be slippery;
- Keep focussed while driving; always check the position of the boat in regard of obstacles such as bridges, locks, dams. Use the navigation maps;
- Be careful of ropes, cleats and open portholes to avoid injury, stumbling, falling;
- Do not leave your hands, fingers, ankles nor feets between the ropes of a moored boat.
Respect the environment during you Houseboat holiday in Veneto or Friuli
Further than respecting navigation rules, it is also important to respect the environment during your houseboat vacation in Veneto. There are some precautions you should take to help preserve the ecosystem of the inland waterways:
- Never throw waste into the water: keep it and dispose of it at the designated collection points ashore;
- Do not disturb wild fauna: do not get too close to bird nests if you see them during navigation, and reduce your speed to avoid waves smashing;
- Respect the navigation restrictionsset by the competent authorities: in some areas, such as natural parks, only slow navigation is allowed to preserve the environment.
Respecting the environment is fundamental to us, which is why we propose a fully electric powered boat called Minuetto 8 Electric, which is the first electric Houseboat, that will allow you to experience the most sustainable Houseboat holiday!
Things to know before renting a houseboat in Italy, in Veneto and Friuli
You will be the Houseboat Captain and before boarding you will receive useful information and navigation maps indicating all the mooring points where it is possible to land in total safety.
With our Houseboats you will not need a boating license but, before boarding, our highly qualified staff will hold a theoretical and practical briefing to show you everything you need to know, to navigate safely and enjoy the experience of a Houseboat vacation in the Italian waterways.
If you respect the itineraries that we put together , it will be impossible to run into unexpected situations, and you will always find a berth available to spend the night safely.
With these simple precautions, you can fully enjoy your boat vacation in the Italian waterways in the Veneto region, ensuring the crew safety and protecting the environment.
Discover our itineraries and enjoy the experience of a Houseboat vacation in Veneto and Friuli, the ideal destination for a river boating holiday.